Why do Christians (blank)?

Go down

Why do Christians (blank)?

Post  Dragon Tamer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm

A lot of Christian practices are confusing, even to the very people who practice them. So feel free to question these practices; you may even get an answer.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

View user profile http://interhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do Christians (blank)?

Post  Silwer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:04 pm

I have always wondered where the tradition of going to church every Sunday came from...
I remember seeing something about it in the Good Book, but Im not going to read through the whole thing just to find it...id get stuck at the Old testament, the book of Rules. I just love how some of them are formulated.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Silwer wrote:I have always wondered where the tradition of going to church every Sunday came from...
I remember seeing something about it in the Good Book, but Im not going to read through the whole thing just to find it...id get stuck at the Old testament, the book of Rules. I just love how some of them are formulated.
Good question. Historically, Jews met in synagogues, which were kind of alike house churches today - while some may have had specialized meeting places, they could just as easily be hosted in upper rooms like the one where the Last Supper was held. These met on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.

In the early church, it was the practice to meet in homes on a frequent basis - often several times a week, rather than just one day. In fact, for many believers (probably all, in fact, where it was possible), daily meals became a time to gather for fellowship. Imagine three church meetings a day!

So how did it get narrowed down to Sunday in particular? Well, as the church became more established through the centuries, it took on a more ritualistic routine. Sunday became the standard day to gather and worship because Sunday was when Jesus rose from the grave.

Trivial note: The Russian for "Sunday" is literally "Resurrection Day." Ironically, Russia has historically been very hostile to Christianity.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 am

Could it also has something to do with sunday being the day God rested in the creation?

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 am

Silwer wrote:Could it also has something to do with sunday being the day God rested in the creation?

Only if your calendar begins with Monday (and I have seen a few that do). God resting from creation was the given explanation for the Sabbath in the Mosaic Law (see the Fifth Commandment, Exodus 20:8-11) as a day of rest and worship, set apart for the Lord.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD* your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you.
11 For in six days the LORD* made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD* blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

So although the seventh day of creation is the origin of the Jewish Sabbath, which is practiced on Sunday by Christians, the timing of ours does not derive from the original practice. This is, admittedly, a deviation, although it may be considered justified by the fact that the Sabbath is the only one of the Ten Commandments not repeated in the New Testament.

* Side note: There are many different words in the original text translated as "Lord" or "God," such as Elohim, El Shaddai, and Jehovah, emphasizing different aspects of God such as grace, providence, and salvation (sometimes "lord" would also be used with reference to a person such as a king). When an English Bible has the word LORD all in capitals, that means that the original text read "Yaweh," or "I AM," which was considered the most sacred of God's names - so sacred, in fact, that Hebrew scholars of Biblical times would often use a substitute name for fear of using this one in vain (as forbidden in Exodus 20:7, the Fourth Commandment).

Last edited by Dragon Tamer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

...Wish I had your schooling, seeing that I had to use two dictionaries and a biblical terminology book to understand this.
But I see what you mean, and inderstand why^^
Thanks for explaining.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Word of Life Bible Institute. Never go to college without it. lol
Well, I'm glad I could help.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Curiously, I never rest on Sunday, but on Saturday. That's wwhen I meet my friends, have fun, etc. on Sunday, I'm go prepare for the work-week. Do the homework, prepare the exams, etc. It's easier to me to start on Monday then.
RomiX

View user profile http://www.digger.do.am

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Well, again, Sundays aren't mandatory. But assuming you're a Christian, I imagine you'll have a hard time finding a church that meets on Saturday.

Personally, I always did my homework on the bus until college, when we had two to three hours of designated study time a night. And a school week that usually began on Tuesday.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 am

Hm Right. Actuaaly, I barely do my hm, because they don't check it. But... The best way to take good marks ain't studying but learning.
RomiX

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 am

RomiX wrote:Hm Right. Actuaaly, I barely do my hm, because they don't check it. But... The best way to take good marks ain't studying but learning.

And yet the best way to learn is through study of one kind or another. Have you ever read what Paul told his protege, Timothy?

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

The phrase rendered as "rightly dividing" also comes out in some translations as "skillfully using" or "properly handling." And in some translations, the word for "study" is translated as "Be diligent." In other words, apply yourself to what you are learning, so that you can be sure to do it well - in the case of a student, putting what you learn to its best use.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skulblaka_Shur'tugal on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:58 am

Looks like this is a Saturday/Sunday thread now. (that was only a little sarcastic)

I believe you already know my views on this, Dragon Tamer, so I will leave it at that. I am more than willing to let people worship on whatever day they want; the important thing is that they DO set aside a day to worship God, as well as just to get some rest. Jesus said so himself: The Sabbath was made for Man. In that sense--may as well make the most of it! Rest, take a break from everyday life, and just enjoy a day all to yourself and God.
Skulblaka_Shur'tugal

View user profile http://www.nasa.gov/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am

Skulblaka_Shur'tugal wrote:Looks like this is a Saturday/Sunday thread now. (that was only a little sarcastic)

I believe you already know my views on this, Dragon Tamer, so I will leave it at that. I am more than willing to let people worship on whatever day they want; the important thing is that they DO set aside a day to worship God, as well as just to get some rest. Jesus said so himself: The Sabbath was made for Man. In that sense--may as well make the most of it! Rest, take a break from everyday life, and just enjoy a day all to yourself and God.
More than that. As it says in Romans 14:5, "One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."
And sometimes, as Jesus demonstrated, glorifying God may take the form of work; like the times He healed on the Sabbath. But it is a known fact that taking a day or two of rest will make you more productive the other five or six.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

May the Christians listen to "Heavy" music ?

Post  RomiX on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:59 pm

That's the question: may you listen to heavy metal?
RomiX

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm

RomiX wrote:That's the question: may you listen to heavy metal?

That's a good question. Personally I don't as a rule, and I will explain why, but I do not consider it immoral to do so as such.

However, there are a few things to bear in mind, and I'm especially glad now that this sort of thing has been brought up at church a lot lately because that puts it fresh in my mind. First, there is the fact that it's key to consider the needs and vulnerabilities of fellow believers. For example, heavy metal as I understand it tends to contain some pretty unseemly stuff in its lyrics, and that can be a stumbling block for other believers. This is similar to the case in the early church - I believe it was an especially hot topic for the church at Corinth - where controversy arose over whether it was acceptable to eat meat which had been offered to idols. Paul pointed out that the idols were nothing, just lumps of wood, stone, or metal. Thus the meat was not changed by being offered to them. But, for some believers who had been saved out of a life of idolatry and the immoral practices that went with it, the meat could present a stumbling block. Even if it did not draw them into outright sin, by buying it or eating it at someone else's house they might go against their consciences, which would be sin. And if a believer who had no such problem ate it in the presence of weaker brethren, the weaker believer might be tempted into going against their conscience by the stronger brother's example.

The sum of the above is this: if metal music presents you no temptation to swear or do other things which dishonor God or those around you, and if you're willing to dig through the junk that's out there (and I realize there's junk in just about any genre) for something worth filling your mind with, then go right ahead. But, if someone is bothered or troubled by it, then stop.

I would also point out, from a scientific perspective, that as I understand it research on heavy metal suggests that it can damage various living things, possibly including brain systems. Since the brain is kind of important to ministry, and life in general, I personally advocate less caustic forms of music.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down