Depression

Go down

Depression

Post  Zane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:11 am

It is normal to feel down or sad at times during your life. If you have had to cope with a stressful event you may need time to grieve and feelings of sadness may last for some time. The term depression is sometimes used to describe feelings of sadness. Depression is also the name for a group of illnesses, which affects the way someone feels and is characterised by a persistent lowering of mood.

When someone is depressed they may feel a range of things including:·

feeling hopeless or helpless
losing interest in activities they usually enjoy
a lack of energy
changes in sleeping and eating patterns
crying a lot or feeling agitated
high use of alcohol or other drugs
losing their temper
withdrawing from the group
headaches or stomach aches
feeling empty
feeling anxious.

Understanding Depression:

Sometimes people become depressed in response to something in particular and sometimes depression can occur for no apparent reason. Some of the things that can trigger depression include:

a history of depression within the family
a stressful event or chain of events such as a family break-up, child abuse, ongoing bullying at school, rape, a death, a relationship break up, family conflict
having a baby.
Rejection from some oneyou love.

Depression and Suicidal thoughts

People experiencing depression may have suicidal thoughts. If you feel like this, it is important you seek help. A family member, teacher, doctor or psychologist may be a good first step.

If you know someone is having suicidal thoughts, encourage them to seek help. Let them know that if you think they will hurt themself then you will have to tell someone. If they are scared about telling someone else you can offer to go with them for support

Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Depression

Post  Zane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 am

I can say for my self that i went through a depression stage as well. for a sertain reason im not gonna say why, but it took me about two years to finaly stop thinking about suicide. I was fortunate not to do anything stupid. Seeking help from a proffetional is deffinetly somthing i should have done...
If you or one of your friends are going through depression, seek proffetional help or talk to some one who you feel comfortable talking to. Mum, Dad, Grandmother, Grandfather. People you can trust. Even if you are scared it is best to talk to some one. have a friend you can trust with you. maybe your boyfriend or girlfriend, these people maybe be the best to talk to.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 am

I went once through a serious depression, because of being over-bullied in school. I was thinking about "suiciding" the bullies, really.
RomiX

View user profile http://www.digger.do.am

Back to top Go down

Depression

Post  Zane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Yes i understand that, i myself was bullied to a point were i had to shut my self away for a while. it took my parents alot of effort to get me out of my room and back into school. I was all set to never leave the bedroom. When i finallywhent back to school, i was still depessed and it took me a few months to get back into being the normal me. though i was never the same and people kind of noticed it. couple years later i snapped out of my depression and started on working with others depression.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Where was you when i went to Junior high? xD I didnt get it as bad as you, but still I know what you are talking about. We bully-victims need to stand together. You have friends here.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Depression

Post  Zane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:01 pm

I will be posting more on this subject as i feel this has a great effect on most teenagers and adults. I will consult some people i know have higher training in both Suicide prevention and Depression training. I myself have only achieved a minor Cert in this area. But feel free to ask questions i will do my best to answer.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:26 pm

The most important thing is that you are willing to listen, though knowing how to calm people helps a lot. I didnt have any training or similar before we had our heart to heart. Everyone can help a great deal, listening is an excelent start, helping comes by itself, as long as you care enough.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes i enjoyed our littleheart to heart talk. Now im not as depressed lol.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Likewise mate.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

I know what depression feels like, and I think it's great that you've decided to address this topic. I once got so upset over... over something that happened a long time ago, that I felt like I was going to throw up every minute of every day for at least a week, maybe longer. At meals, every bite was like forcing down an entire meal. I guess I felt the way dogs do sometimes when someone close to them dies and they get so depressed they starve to death.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

View user profile http://interhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

'if your defending yourself, do whatever it takes. I will defend you for defending yourself.'
Words of a father of someone in BS.
A lot of people have been bullyed. That theme appeared in the SB on 31/01. Almost everybody I know was. And some still are. Once you grow up, from the medium and high school, you forget. And might start bullying others. Annoying.
There's a page that was posted on the shoutbox.
"Wish be never born" - a weak intent of a suicide.
http://www.bullying.co.uk/index.php/the-zone/verse/i-am-poem-for-anti-bullying-week.html
Some things that appeared in the SB.

-"Easy Target: someone who is incapable of fully fighting back and lacks any threatening appearance"-
-"I live by: they must have a crappy life themselves if they're taking it out on somebody like me~"-
-"exactly"-
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-"Everyone in BS has been bullied. it's like, site law."-
Right for me.
RomiX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

yes i would agree, nearly if not all people on BS would have been bullied sometime. and i would say being bullied is one of the worse things. (besides losing a loved one) mainly because it doesn't stop, Bullies seem to enjoy watching some one else suffer. They seem to push it and push it and ush it, and it get worse and worse and worse. Eventual some one breaks, and it seems to be more of an effect on more than just one person.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:29 pm

They push because they want a reaction. Why, I dont know. But they love to see you angry or crying. Makes them feel bigger and stronger and more superior.
They are the ones that end up in the bottom of the social food-chain later in life.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm

They do. They are what it was said: feeling great and strong. They usually are somebodies who have a weally tough family relation, like if the Dad will find out that 10 rubles have dissapeared off his wallet (0.31 USD) And goes teaching the supposed thief with his belt in the kitchen. I've seen a lot of films, have read a lot of books about that. One of those was "COBARDES" (Cowards in Spanish) And there they ended the bulliying in a tough way. . The bullyed one let himself was beaten to blood. And then, he sent the video of the "fight" to the bully. Simple. (Bullies father was a real beast)
But that' is only a film.

RomiX

Back to top Go down

Depression

Post  Zane on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:01 am

We use the term “depression” in normal conversation to describe distress or unhappiness following an unpleasant event that has happened to us. This depression is a perfectly normal response of course, is usually short-lived, and usually resolves rapidly, without the need for any specific treatment.
In contrast, depressive illness, is a much more severe and prolonged condition, with persistent sadness, negativity and difficulty coping, which will affect about 20% of people at some stage in their lives. Those who have not suffered depressive illness can understand more clearly the suffering involved by recalling the most distressed state they have experienced in their own lives, and imagine that feeling continuing for weeks or months. Depressive illness is the emotional equivalent of a broken leg. The condition is painful and disabling, but with a very high cure rate. Indeed, many people state they would far prefer to have a broken leg or some other obvious physical problem, which would allow them and the people around them to understand why they are so suddenly disabled.
Depressive illness is similar to cancer in many ways. No one is immune from either, regardless of age, sex, intelligence, social status, etc. In severe cases, the condition is life threatening. Early, intensive and occasionally prolonged treatment gives the best chance of totally eradicating the illness, and reducing the risk of relapse. A combination of your own efforts, and appropriate medication, produces much better results than either approach on its own.

Who gets depressive illness?
In the vast majority of people, depressive illness results from a build-up of stress, which eventually causes a breakdown in internal chemistry. Factors which increase the risk of developing depressive illness, when faced with stress, include:
1. Not communicating frequently with a partner or friends, usually about the normal things in life, and occasionally about more serious matters as they arise.
2. Multiple demands on your time, leaving too little time to relax.
3. Certain personality characteristics such as being anxious or worrying easily, lack of self-confidence, difficulty in being assertive, or excessive perfectionism.
4. Having fragile biochemistry, either due to genetic factors, or as a result of viral infections, medical illness or recent childbirth.
5. Drinking excessive alcohol or smoking excessive marijuana.

Symptoms of Depressive illness
This illness is diagnosed if you have some of the following standard complaints in depressive illness. These include:
1. Lowered mood – feeling sad or unhappy most of the day, and nearly every day.
2. Generalized negativity and pessimism – so that everything seems black or pointless.
3. Loss of interest or pleasure in your normal activities.
4. Tiredness, chronic fatigue (often not relieved by sleep).
5. Avoiding social contact.
6. Less talkative than usual.
7. Reduced concentration, memory or ability to think clearly.
8. Reduced productivity or ability to cope.
9. Tearfulness or crying.
10. Impaired sleep, appetite or sex drive.
11. Reduced self- confidence, feelings of worthlessness.
12. Anxiety and irritability.
13. Thoughts of life being pointless, especially when losing hope of recovering.

Blood test for depression
In 50 to 60 per cent of cases, an unusual blood test (known as the Dexamethasone Suppression test) can measure the presence and severity of depressive illness. A normal test of course does not outrule depressive illness (just as having a normal Xray when you have back pain does not mean you do not have a pain).

Treatment
This depends on the severity of the illness, and on the predisposing factors. Mild illnesses may respond to discussing the stresses, and finding better ways to deal with them. Encouragement to think and act positively (cognitive behavioural therapy, CBT) may be helpful. Discussing relationship difficulties has also been shown by research to be effective (interpersonal therapy). For more disabling or severe depressive illnesses, medication is usually necessary to repair the damaged chemistry, before dealing with the stresses and predisposing factors. Deciding not to take medication at this stage runs the risk of prolonging the illness and the suffering. There is also recent research indicating the importance of eradicating depressive illness as soon as possible, to lessen the risks of developing resistant or relapsing depressive illness. It is therefore important to take adequately strong doses of antidepressants, and to remain on the medication for some months after recovery. Antidepressants are not addictive (unlike tranquillizers in some cases), and can only bring an individual’s mood back to a normal level (they are not “uppers”).

NOTE It is important to avoid alcohol when significantly depressed, and certainly to avoid alcohol in anything other than very small amounts. This reduces the risk that you will become more distressed as the alcohol suppresses the normal aspects of your emotions, running the risk of the distressed part of you becoming more prominent and disabling. Also, it is important not to make any significant decisions while depressed, as depressive illness causes you to see only the negative side of situations (making mountains out of molehills), without being able to properly appreciate the positives that also exist.

What can others do to help?
The most important role is to understand the illness and indeed the suffering that goes on under the seemingly healthy surface in patients with depressive illness, sometimes described as the “walking wounded”. You cannot give answers to the illness, but a vital aid to recovery is to express understanding and sympathy, while reminding the depressed person that they will recover, despite their own pessimism and fears. And for many patients with depression, it is very useful if you can offer “non-demanding presence”...have the sufferer with you, and alone as little as possible, without feeling the need to make conversation or do anything much.

Fear of the unknown
The idea that you, or someone close to you, has an illness which is not visible, and does not respond to simply being logical, can be very frustrating and perhaps frightening. Human beings have always been afraid of unknown illnesses, until medical science solved the problem including epilepsy and TB. In time, depressive illness will also lose its stigma, but meanwhile, fantastic rumours and fears will continue about the illness and its treatment.

Important Disclaimer: This site is medical information only, and is not to be taken as diagnosis, advice or treatment, which can only be decided by your own doctor.

* Depression is not simply normal sadness, being moody or just a low mood, but a serious illness. It causes both physical and psychological symptoms.
* Depression is common. Up to one in four females and one in six males will experience depression in their lifetime.
* Depression is the leading cause of suicide.
* Depression is often not recognized or treated.
* Current treatments for depression are safe and effective.
* Depression also commonly occurs with specific anxiety syndromes.

Depression is more than just a low mood - it's a serious illness. While we all feel sad, moody or low from time to time, some people experience these feelings intensely, for long periods of time and often without reason. People with depression find it hard to function every day and may be reluctant to participate in activities they once enjoyed.

Depression is one of the most common of all mental health problems. One in five people experience depression at some stage of their lives.

beyondblue aims to provide clear and comprehensive information about depression. This website will take you step-by-step through the symptoms of depression; how to recognize it, how to get help, how to help someone and how to stay well. beyondblue also provides recommendations on where to find additional information and links to other useful organizations.

To find out more about depression, click on the headings on the left-hand menu and/or download beyondblue information resources related to depression.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 am

Wow that was a long one... ^^ Okay this info isn't entirely my own (obviously) I got the info from a few differential websites, but the general idea is mostly here. It's another quick summery. still looking, and gathering stuff.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 am

Hm, that was pretty informative. Where did you find all that? Its one of the few things I have read about the matter that didnt tell you do just "Be happy" or "Buy Prozac"

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am

Honestly i just search the Internet, gather all the information and just arrange it a little.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:15 am

I see.

In the cure department, I have a pretty good cure for mild depressions and sadness. Thats right! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvRTS7Kt-k&feature=related People hurting themselves on trampolines!

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:09 am

Haha, think those were dangerous? try double front flip off of your mates trampoline and blacking out just before you straighten up... That hurts! I woke up in a lot of pain.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragon Tamer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:38 am

Blacking out in the middle of a move like that? I'm surprised you didn't wake up in the hospital - or worse.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

View user profile http://interhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Silwer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 am

DT: Been there done that=p Well, it was the nurses office, but either way=p Had one of my blackouts in the school gym a few years back. Smashed my head against a concrete wall >< I know Aiyu was lucky. Trampolines are death traps.

Silwer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zane on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Hurt realy bad, my friends who where standing back watching said i landed on my face and had a seizure. I was kind of lucky though, there was a paramedic nearby. he was my friends grandfather and he was off duty. But i was still lucky.
Zane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down