Balto vs. Balto

Go down

Balto vs. Balto

Post  SiberiaN on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 am

Although the first movie was based on the true story of Balto, the animated character of Balto does not represent only himself in my opinion.
The character is an icon of each and every animal, who was involved in The Great Serum Run. Even if there was connection between the real Balto and the animated character Balto as a single personality, it has ended were the first movie ended.
We all know that the real Balto was taken away not long after the race for the serum and brought to another parts of the USA and used for attraction.
Even WQ and WOC are not following these facts. Althought there are many people who write fanfics and try to keep their stories in the years when the real Balto lived, yep that's including you, DT. I was listening to the last interview with Skulblaka where you was speaking about the year (1933) in which the real Balto has died, but I am not sure if it is supposed to be the year when the animated character should die too. I mean, if Universal can give to him Jenna, Steele and all the other characters including his family, why can't we give him few years more life. He deserves them.

Well the main question is: Do the fanfic authors have to keep their stories into this period of time 1922-1933, because of the real Balto's death?
If yes - why is he still in Nome if the fanfic is claiming to follow the real events (that includes the two sequels WQ and WOC)
If no - why are you, DT (and other authors), trying to keep your stories in this period of time.

Thanks for reading and sorry if there is some misunderstanding.
SiberiaN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Balto vs. Balto

Post  Dragon Tamer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:28 pm

You make a good point. I can't speak for everyone, but since the original Balto took place in 1925, I set my fanfics roughly around that date. I'm not settled on the date of his death; his demise isn't really important to my fanfics. He was still alive, although in poor health, in Wilderness Hunt. But that's about the extent of how his lifespan figures into my stories.

That said, I don't entirely limit myself to the original time period. For example, my story "Balto's Treasure Island," being non-canon, takes place decades, maybe even a century or two, before the real Balto was born. And some of my upcoming fics, such as Camp Contusions (co-authored with Silwer Paw, with some help from Skullblaka Shur'tugal), center on the Balto cast but take place in the present day.
Dragon Tamer
Admin

View user profile http://interhaven.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

re

Post  SiberiaN on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Thank you for the great answer, I am looking forward for your new fanfics and lets leave the topic open, so if anyone else have something to add on it to be free to do it.
SiberiaN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RomiX on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 am

Well, I'm not a fanfic writer, but I'm trying to place all my RPs, character and drawings in the time they could happen. 1920-1935 more or less. I think that adding new characters (and also changing more things like skipping his stage in the zoo), such as Jenna and Steele is modyfying environment , what they thought is OK. But they didn't change Balto. (well, maybe the look and the color)
RomiX

View user profile http://www.digger.do.am

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum